Daniel Jochnowitz Partner
221 West Sixth Street, Suite 700
Austin, Texas 78701
- Complex Commercial Transactions
- Startup and Emerging Technology
- Software and IP Licensing
Dan Jochnowitz is an experienced commercial transactions and IP specialist with over 25 years of in-house and private practice experience, where he has assisted technology and biotech companies, banks, developers, universities and other organizations in the U.S. and in various other countries including China, Russia, France, Australia, Thailand, Malaysia, Ecuador and Vietnam. This experience enables Dan to provide practical and effective legal and business advice that facilitate his clients’ efforts to achieve the best results.
Dan’s practice includes a wide variety of complex technology and intellectual property transactions such as licensing agreements, research and development collaborations, manufacture and supply arrangements, distribution and reseller arrangements, sales rep agreements, SaaS subscription arrangements, service level arrangements, source code escrow arrangements, consumer and end-user facing agreements (e.g., website and mobile app terms of service, privacy policies and other end user license agreements), non-disclosure agreements, consulting and professional services agreements, and other arrangements and agreements involving the commercial exploitation of technology and intellectual property.
He represents companies of all sizes from emerging growth companies to publicly traded companies. These companies operate in a broad range of industries, including, nano-technology, software-as-a-service (SaaS), internet search, biotech, enterprise software, consumer Internet and mobile apps, crowdfunding, hunting and gaming services, oil & gas services, medical and pharmaceutical software, sustainable food, semiconductor technology, consumer and food products, construction services, robotics, virtual reality, recruiting services, energy production and services, gun safety and shooting services, hardware manufacturing, real estate services and software and hardware development. He serves as the outside general counsel for many of his clients.
Prior to joining Egan Nelson, Dan served as General Counsel for Centillium Communications, a global semiconductor company; as General Counsel for ZiLOG, Inc., a global semiconductor company; as Senior Corporate Counsel for Inktomi Corporation, a pioneer in Web search and caching technology; and as General Counsel for BHP Power, Inc., an independent power company.
Dan was also a Partner at Phillips & Reiter; Special Counsel at O’Melveny & Myers LLP; and an Associate at Milbank, Tweed, Hadley and McCloy and Milgrim, Thomajan and Lee.
- Drafted forms of standard agreements for a variety of early stage clients, including non-disclosure agreements, reseller and sales rep agreements, independent contractor agreements, end user license agreements, software licensing agreements and product warranties
- Drafted and negotiated multiple IP licenses with NASA for an early stage biotech company
- Drafted and negotiated a development and manufacturing agreement for a medical device development company
- Advised, drafted and negotiated a master relationship agreement with Dell for an early stage social network platform
- Advised on and drafted terms of service and privacy policies for a variety of clients, including a mobile app for gun safety and shooting, a medical services Web business, a Web and mobile app for construction services, oil & gas services, a magazine subscription service and a mobile app for hunting and gaming services
- Drafted an exclusive supply agreement with a major international coffee and tea retailer for a local tea seller and grower
- Advised the largest search engine company in Russia on issues associated with scraping, linking, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act and other issues and laws that could affect search engines under US law
- Drafted a form of reseller agreement aimed at “Qualified Health Providers” for a company that develops and sells specialty mattresses, pillows and other similar products
- Drafted the forms of loan agreement, security agreement and other financing documents for a company that focuses on providing financing to sustainable food businesses through crowdfunding
- Drafted and negotiated a complex development agreement with a multi-national German chemical company for an early stage nano-technology company
- Advised and drafted a reseller agreement and a sales rep agreement for an early stage company that provides software and hardware for photo booth services
- Advised, drafted and negotiated an exclusive license with a California University for an early stage nano-technology company
- Drafted a stevedoring agreement for an environmentally advanced power station
- Drafted and negotiated a variety of publishing agreements with US and Mexican publishers of magazines for the US subsidiary of a Swedish company that provides a magazine subscription service
- Advised, drafted and negotiated the project documents with the state utility of Victoria, Australia in connection with the acquisition and construction of a coal fired power station in Australia for the sister company of a California utility
- Columbia Law School (J.D., 1985)*
- Stone Scholar (all three years)
- Columbia College (B.A., 1985)
*Selected as one of only two undergraduates from Columbia College for the six-year combined BA/JD program.
- State Bar of New York
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of Texas
221 West Sixth Street, Suite 700
Austin, Texas 78701