José Ancer Partner
221 West Sixth Street, Suite 900
Austin, Texas 78701
- Startup and Emerging Technology
- Private Equity and Venture Capital
- Corporate & Securities
- Mergers & Acquisitions
José is a corporate and securities Partner representing market-leading startups and emerging growth companies on corporate transactions and other high-stakes strategic matters. He also serves both as a Managing Partner of the firm’s Emerging Companies practice and as the firm’s Chief Technology Officer, with a focus on leveraging leading-edge technology to drive efficiencies and improve service quality for the E/N client base.
His legal practice focuses on formation, seed and VC financings, private equity, acquisitions, strategic corporate transactions, and general advisory regarding corporate and financing strategy.
Prior to joining the firm, José practiced in the Austin Technology and Emerging Companies group of Andrews Kurth LLP.
For new client inquiries, please note that José does not represent investors or founders as individuals. His practice focuses exclusively on company representation.
- Harvard Law School (J.D., cum laude)
Dean’s Scholar Prizes in Securities Regulation, Startup Company Law & Finance, and Business Strategy
- University of Texas at Austin (B.A. Economics & Philosophy with highest honors, Phi Beta Kappa)
Jose has represented technology & CPG entrepreneurs and their companies on hundreds of millions of dollars in seed and venture capital financings, acquisitions, and complex transactions; comprising a broad, diverse set of business models and growth paths.
- Silicon Hills Lawyer – An internationally followed legal blog on startup law and venture capital fundamentals. Select articles:
- AlleyWatch: When VCs “own” your startup’s lawyers
Markets Recently Represented
- AI and Machine Learning
- Social Networking Platforms
- Biotech and Biopharma
- Enterprise and Consumer Cybersecurity
- Biometric-based Identity Verification
- Consumer-Focused Hardware
- Electrical Motors
- Healthcare Information Technology
- International Software Engineer Recruiting Platforms
- Online Ed-Tech Platforms
- DevOps Management Software
- Online Advertising Automation SaaS
- Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality
- WordPress Hosting
- Enterprise CRM and Collaboration SaaS
- Carbon-based Nanotechnology
- Targeted E-Commerce and Online Retail
- Bluetooth and iBeacons
- Cognitive Assessment Software
- Brain-Machine Neural Interface Tech
- Video Game Data Analytics
- Consumer Products
- Food and Beverage
- E-Commerce and Online Retail
- Alcoholic Beverage
- Dietary and Nutritional Supplements
- Event and Entertainment Products
- Cannabis (including CBD) Products
- Startups in all major accelerators, including Y Combinator and Techstars.